Cozumel and the Mayan Ruins

Waking up with a sore throat and the fear of the onslaught of something worse sadly marked the arrival into Cozumel. But I was not going to let that stop me for this was the part of the trip that I had looked forward to the most; seeing and walking amongst the Mayan ruins.

In typical cruise boat fashion, we gathered at a certain time in our groups before heading to the ferry that would take us to the mainland. The ferry ride took a little more than 45 minutes. From there, a mile-or-so walk to the busses in 100°+ heat. This walk was through a crowded little shopping district where locals beckoned the tourists to depart with their money. Finally, we are back on the bus for an hour-and-fifteen minute ride to the ruins. This means that we started getting ready to head to the ruins around 10:00 a.m. but didn’t arrive until well after 1:00 p.m. – and in stifling heat.

But viewing the ruins and the azure seas that lie behind them made up for the discomfort and buckets of sweat which drenched everyone. Iguanas were camped atop temple walls and scurried by our feet as we walked amongst the majestic edifices. At least, I thought so. Carlos, our tour guide has been bringing people to visit the remnants of his ancestors for over 18 years and I still marvel at how much gracious energy these people can maintain. He explained how through DNA tests, it believe the Mayan civilization is related to the Asian culture and he also described the blood sacrifice. Unfortunately, we only had a little over an hour amongst the ruins before heading off to the beach portion of the day’s tour.

Another thirty-minute bus ride to a local beach resort where a buffet of classical Mexican cuisine was ready for us and enough time given to swim in the ocean and relax a bit. The downside; another 45 minute bus ride back to the ferry and with choppy water, a rather unsettling, roller coaster-like ride back to the boat, a few minutes late for dinner. All-in-all, more time spent traveling to and from the enjoyments which made for a tough day. But, exhausted and hot, there is one full day left of sailing before arriving back in Miami early Saturday morning.

Be Sociable, Share!

Leave a Reply